Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Orecchiette with Broccoli and Garlic

I made this yummy pasta dish on the weekend. I like to try new recipes that incorporate two things Samantha likes - pasta and vegetables (and believe it or not my 2.5 loves vegetables!!)

I stumbled across this recipe on Best Recipes Ever (a cooking show on CBC daily at 3pm). Try it, it's yummy, quick to make and smells good enough to eat. I'm sure it will be a family favorite.

 Orecchiette with Broccoli and Garlic

Ingredients

1 bunch broccoli
4 cups (1 L) orecchiette pasta, (12 0z/375 g)
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
6 anchovy fillets, chopped (or 1 tbsp/15 ml anchovy paste)
1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Cut broccoli into small florets; chop stems. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.

In same pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Fry garlic, anchovies, hot pepper flakes and salt until garlic is fragrant and anchovies begin to break down, about 2 minutes.

Add broccoli to skillet; cook until heated through and garlic is beginning to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Add to pasta along with reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

Substitutions: Instead of broccoli I used swiss chard. I didn't have orecchiette at home so I used a medium shell pasta. I wasn't crazy about the idea of using anchovy fillets because of the chopping involved - too time consuming for me, so I used the anchovy paste instead.

SSMom

No comments:

Post a Comment