Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Top 5 Holiday Activites for the Kiddies

As a child, I always loved the holidays and looked forward to all the dazzling display of lights, the smell of freshly baked holiday cookies and the magical sounds that could only indicate Christmas was coming.

As an adult, I always wanted my children to get that special feeling of excitement that only the holidays could bring. I wanted the days leading up to Christmas to be filled with fun, laughter and activities that would bring smiles to their faces.

Here is my top 5 list of holiday activities that I have been doing around our house:

1. Cooking and Baking

I absolutely love baking and being in the kitchen. But truth be told, baking is not one of my strong suits. My eldest daughter, Samantha, is at the stage where she loves to watch me in the kitchen. I plop her on a chair and let her help. She hands me the needed ingredients, mixes the dry ingredients and tastes the batter as we go.

2. Holiday-related Crafts

I’m not the most crafty mom but I am a work in progress. I purchased a box full of everything you need to have a few hours of fun including sticker cutouts, glue, scissors, popsicle sticks, construction paper crayons etc. you get the idea. My girls love putting pictures together. We have been creating winter wonderlands and tons of Santa and Rudolph themed pictures.

3. Holiday Outings and Walks

The holiday season brings everything festive – the shops and malls, clothes, and houses are all decorated with bright shining lights and sounds of holiday carols. I have been trying to point out all things decorated or lit up and what the decorations signify.

4. Reading about the Holidays

Our love for books goes beyond the holiday season. I love being able to read holiday books about Santa, the elves and Rudolph that I enjoyed as a child to my girls.

5. Create Our Own Traditions

I am all about creating our own traditions. For us singing carols all through December and decorating the house are signs that we are in the holiday season. While most of the bedazzling of the house is done while they nap, seeing their faces when they first see all the decorations is priceless.

If you have any holiday activities you would love to share, I would love to hear about them.

SSMom

No comments:

Post a Comment