Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Santa Claus - The Visit

It's the time of the year when parents gear up for the annual visit to see Santa Claus. I took the necessary measures this year in hopes our visit would go down without a hitch. Wishful thinking!!!

This year I was determined to make this visit as happy an outing as possible and so I came up with a 3 step fool proof plan - so I thought.

Step 1: Warm child up to the idea of Santa by showing her pictures

Step 2: Give Santa props - " He's awesome, he makes toys for all the little boys and girls in the world. Whatever you ask for he brings you." ( a little bribery can't hurt)

Step 3: Bring child for weekly visits to the mall to see Santa from a distance.
Then the day came when we were at the mall and my 2.5 year old (Samantha) said "Mommy I want to take a picture with Santa." Well, I literally dropped everything and the next day off to the mall we went all dressed up for our visit with Santa.

Both my daughters were excited. But lets be real, my 15 month old (Madison) didn't really know what was going on. In line, it was smooth sailing, chit chatting with the other kids and Santa's elves. I thought to myself, this is great....and then it happened. The fear started to appear in their eyes, slowly their little smiles faded and they stared at him like deer in front of headlights. Needless to say I was in the picture sitting right next to Santa, but surprisingly Samantha did manage to mumble softly that she wanted Aurora for Christmas!!!!

I later asked Samantha why she didn't want to sit with Santa...her response......"I didn't like his gloves." In hindsight, I am always telling her not to talk to strangers. Then that all goes out the window once a year when I ask her to sit on a strangers lap who is dressed up in a red suit with an oversized belt, gloves and boots and tell him what she wants for Christmas.

I'm gonna have to come up with a new plan next year!!!

SSMom

No comments:

Post a Comment