Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Surviving the Toddler Cold

Tis' the season for sneezes and sniffles. The cold came into our house quietly and then attacked both of my little girls with a nasty vengeance. It all started with a lack of appetite, a little sneeze here and a little runny nose there. And before I knew it the fever came at full force. I felt as though there was nothing I could do to make it better. I asked my eldest Samantha (2.5 years old) what I could do to make it better and all she said was "Mommy, can you please make my cold go away." Completely broke my heart.

Sleepless and worrisome nights. Listening intently to any coughs, sneezes or cries. But we survived and are in recovery mode. So, for any of you mommy or daddy's out there here a few tips to surviving the toddler cold:

  1. Listen and watch for the signs of the dreaded cold
  2. Don't force your child to finish their meal. It will completely backfire on you
  3. Feed them right with lots of soups and broths. A salty soup will prevent dehydration and help ease congestion
  4. Use a cool mist humidifier and saline nose drops to soften up crusty mucus
  5. Give them lots of kisses and hugs
Unfortunately, there is no cure for a cold it has to run its course. All we can do as parents is be there to comfort them. Maybe these few tips will help you and your sniffling tot.

SSMom

No comments:

Post a Comment